Monday, August 22, 2011

I Hope That Old Guy Was Running Too Fast To Hear My Fergalicous

     When I run (or more realistically, sweat while moving at a pace only slightly faster than standing), I like to listen to music. Loud. Music that makes me forget I'm in the hot sun and that my legs hurt and my toes are dragging and that a 60 year old man just lapped me on the running trail. I set the bar low for running music. Anything I can dance to, I'll run to. My taste in music is broad, but when it comes to something that will keep me moving, I'm not going to get any exercise in if I'm jamming to Neko. So I usually run to Fergie or Justin Timberlake. Like I said, low.

      This past weekend however, a new songbird earned her place on my running playlist. Eliza Doolittle.  What's even better? She's not crappy! Catchy and fun and talented. And English, so there's a bonus accent! I mean, this music isn't going to change any lives. It's just fun. Like a bit of chocolate. Really catchy chocolate. By George, she's got it.



4 comments:

  1. I've gotta take a moment to stick up for my man, JT and his beat-packin' colleagues. I can see why the general Great Music Mafia consensus is that his songs and other pop/dance types are of "low" quality, but the truth is there are NO SONGS better for getting your groove on than "Sexy Back" or "Toxic" or "Bad Romance" or others just like them. I've always loved pop music for how brainlessly fun it can be, but it's gone from being a guilty pleasure to something I'm stoked to jam to and sing to and move to - especially in the car on the way to work or while working out at the gym.

    Jon was a total music snob when he moved in with me, and now he listens to Taylor Swift tunes proudly. And why not? They're silly and fun, and not entirely terrible. Plus, Greg Laswell and The Weepies and Rufus Wainwright can't usually get me groovin' like Ke$ha or Jessie J can, and they're not supposed to. Music for moods, that's what I say.

    Sometimes you want beats, sometimes you want creative and unique lyrics, sometimes you want top-notch vocals. All are good, so long as they achieve their intention.

    Some current "crappy" workout faves:

    Nicki Minaj - "Super Bass" (all over the radio right now - she's like perky bubblegum rap!)
    Jessie J - "Price Tag" (also a Brit - check out her stellar voice in "Who You Are")
    Lady Gaga - "Scheiße"
    Avril Lavigne - "What the Hell" (can't help myself, it grew on me)
    Willow Smith - "21st Century Girl" (absolutely LOVE this music video - girl is a rock star and actually acts her age)
    Katie Perry - "Last Friday Night" (she is, thankfully, going back to her bubblegum roots)

    I also love pretty much any upbeat cover from "Glee" - and there are no shortage of those. What else have you found?? I'm always in the market for new workout songs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably the best thing I've ever gotten from JCPenney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm in full agreement with you! I'm not saying they're not listenable. They're the opposite! They're perfect for what I need. Something that motivates me to run. But, like you said, it's fun, but brainless fun.

    I suppose it's just different definitions of what "good" means in this context. I think a heavily produced/packaged song can be fun and I'm happy to listen to it, but I wouldn't say it was good. But that's based what qualifies as "good" music to me, and that personal definition isn't as broad as my own taste in music is, if that makes sense.

    I think I look at it similarly to movies. No one says Sleepaway Camp is a good movie. But oh is it watchable. SO so watchable. Obviously, it's not a precise comparison, but you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete